Apply for Housing: Residence Halls and Apartments
(Returning Students, New Transfers and New Grad Students)
2018–19 Housing Application
Be prepared before you apply. Read all of the information contained on this website and also the corresponding links regarding Housing Selection for next fall. If you do not read everything, you will not be informed of important information, changes, and deadlines!
Priority Application Information
- Priority Application is for current on-campus students as well as for new incoming Transfer and Graduate students and current Commuter students who want the best selection of space for the fall. (The new Incoming Freshman Application is a separate process and will begin on March 1.)
- Priority Application will be available beginning at 10:00am January 22, 2018 and ends on February 16, 2018 at 11:55pm!
- A $150 prepayment is needed to start the application. The prepayment cannot be waived nor can it be charged to the student account. The prepayment is your first housing payment for the Fall 2018 semester.
- Important change!! The university no longer accepts cash payments. If do not have a credit card, we will accept a cashier’s check or money order here in the Housing Office.
- Selection of a space is NOT based on first come first served…it is determined by lottery, so there is no need to feel rushed to apply on the first day it opens. You can apply anytime between January 22, 2018 and Friday, February 16, 2018 to be included in the lottery process.
- Eligibility for University Apartments is available only to students who graduated from high school during the 2015-16 school year or earlier. (Brown, Munson, Cornell, Westview, and 601 W Forest).
- Please note that even those who are eligible and apply during the Priority Application period are NOT guaranteed a space in the apartments as we receive far many more requests than what we have space.
- Those who apply and make payment AFTER the Priority Application deadline will not be included in the initial round of selecting a room but will still be able to apply and choose a room from spaces still available during the Open Application period which begins Wednesday, March 14, 2018.
Student E-Bill Accounts
- Your student account needs to be up to date to be able to access the application system.
- If you have a financial hold on your account, you will not be able to access the application.
- If you are on a payment plan be sure that you are making payments by the scheduled due dates to avoid having a hold placed onto your account.
- Check your E-Bill now before the application system opens so that there are no surprises.
- Please note that if you make a payment for a past due bill, it takes 24 hours for the hold to come off of your account so you will not be able to access the application until the next day. Plan accordingly!
2017-18 Housing & Dining Contract
- The contract language can be found HERE [PDF]. It is your responsibility to read and understand the terms and conditions of the contract. Know what you are agreeing to. You will be held to the terms of the contract whether you read it or not.
- The Housing & Dining Services contract is for the full academic year, September through April, which includes both the fall and winter semesters.
- Release from the contract is not granted anytime throughout the academic year for an enrolled student once that student has moved into their assigned space in the fall.
Move-In Dates for Fall 2018
- Move-In for the fall for all returning, transfer, and graduate transfer students will be on Saturday, September 1, 2018.
- We are not able to accommodate any earlier move-ins. Please make your plans accordingly. This includes moving from off campus properties that may require you to move out earlier than what we open.
- Students selecting Downing Hall must be an admitted Honors College student.
- Students selecting Best must have a minimum overall gpa of 3.3 as of the end of the Fall 2017 semester.
- Students selecting the Village must have a minimum overall gpa of 2.5 as of the end of the Fall 2017 semester.
- You will have the opportunity to request someone you already know or search for a roommate using the Roommate Search option which is part of the application.
- Click HERE for more information on forming Roommate Groups.
Selection of Room Space
- Students who apply during the Priority Application period of January 22, 2018 through February 16, 2018 will receive a time, determined via a lottery, of when they will be eligible to select their desired building, room, and meal plan.
- Students will be notified of their lottery timeslot date via their EMU email account.
- If you are planning to renew your current space for next year click HERE for information.
- If you want to change to a different location for next year, click HERE for information.
- A limited number of Single Rooms are available in many of the halls, and 1 person units in our University Apartment complexes.
- For more information on single rooms click HERE
- A cancellation of the contract can be made without a forfeiture of the prepayment as long as the request is made in writing to the Housing email account at email@example.com no later than March 14, 2018.
- IMPORTANT: If cancellation is received by March 14, 2018, the prepayment will NOT be refunded, but will instead be applied to Fall 2018 tuition and fee charges. It is very important that you understand this BEFORE applying.
- Cancellations received after March 14, 2018 will result in a forfeiture of the entire prepayment, regardless of the reason.
- Requests for cancellation are not accepted by phone.
- If you intend to apply for financial aid funding for the 2018-19 school year, this should be done
as soon as possible!
- Students need to complete the FAFSA each year to receive aid.
- You need to have your financial aid accepted and confirmed well BEFORE the fall semester starts.
- Give careful consideration to requesting a single room. Most students do NOT receive enough financial aid to cover the additional cost of a single.
- Be sure to check out our FAQ page for additional information and answers to your questions.
Click HERE to view.
- If you have additional questions, contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your questions will be answered quickly by an administrative staff member who knows the correct information. Do not call the Housing Main Office as those answering the phones are not familiar with many of the selection procedures.
- Do not rely on room selection information given to you by anyone other than what is received from an administrative Housing staff member. This includes friends, RAs, front desk staff, or other offices on campus…the information they give is often wrong!
- Better yet, stop by the Housing Office to speak with one of the assignment staff. We are more than willing to take the time to answer all of your questions.
Come to campus prepared! Read the Guide to Campus Living [PDF] before you arrive.