Apply for Housing: Residence Halls and Apartments

(Returning Students, New Transfers and New Grad Students)

All one-bedroom, single University apartments are sold out for the fall.

2017–18 Housing Application – General Information

Be prepared. Read all of the information contained below and on the corresponding links regarding Housing Selection for next fall. Students who don’t read it will not know the information and it cannot be communicated in any other manner!

You should also read the information on the FAQs page for further information not contained below.

Application Information

  • The application will open at 10 a.m. March 20, 2017. Do not try to access any earlier as you will have difficulty getting in later.
  • A $150 prepayment will be needed to start the application. The prepayment cannot be waived nor can it be charged to the student account. The prepayment is your first housing payment for the Fall 2017 semester.
  • Starting with the 2017-18 academic year only students who have earned 55 credit hours or more (Junior status or higher) and/or graduated from high school during the 2014-15 school year or earlier, will be eligible for University Apartments (Brown, Munson, Cornell, Westview and 601 W Forest).
  • Space in the apartments is not guaranteed as they do fill quickly.

Student E-Bill Accounts

  • Your student account needs to be up to date to be able to access the application system.
  • If you have a financial hold on your account, you will not be able to access the application.
  • Once you have paid your balance, access to the application will not be available until the next day.
  • If you are on a payment plan be sure that you are making payments by the scheduled due dates to avoid having a hold placed onto your account.
  • Check your E-Bill now before the application system opens so that there are no surprises.

2017–18 Housing and Dining Contract

  • Read the contract terms and conditions [PDF]. It is your responsibility to read and understand the terms and conditions of the contract. Know what you are agreeing to.  You will be held to the terms of the contract whether you read it or not.
  • The Housing & Dining Services contract is for the full academic year, September through April.
  • Release from the contract is not granted anytime throughout the academic year for an enrolled student once that student has moved into their assigned space in the fall.

Move-In Dates for Fall 2017

  • Move-In for the fall for all returning, transfer, and graduate transfer students will be on Saturday, September 2, 2017.
  • We are not able to accommodate any earlier move-ins. Please make your plans accordingly.

Hall Eligibility

  • Students selecting Downing Hall must be an admitted Honors College student.
  • Students selecting Best must have a minimum overall gpa of 3.3 as of the end of the Fall 2016 semester.
  • Students selecting the Village must have a minimum overall gpa of 2.5 as of the end of the Fall 2016 semester.

Roommate Requests

  • If you have a specific roommate that you want to live with, you will both want to apply at the same time so that you can search for open spaces together that will accommodate you.

Single Rooms

  • Single Rooms are available in Hill, Hoyt, Pittman, the Village, and 1 person units in our University Apartment complexes.
  • The additional cost of a single is NOT covered by Financial Aid.
  • Read information regarding single rooms.

Cancellation Information

  • A cancellation of the contract can be made without a forfeiture of the prepayment as long as the request is made in writing to the Housing email account at housing@emich.eduno later than March 24, 2017.
  • Important: Cancellations received by March 24, 2017, will not have the prepayment refunded, but will instead be applied to Fall 2017 tuition and fee charges. It is very important that you understand this before applying.
  • Cancellations received after March 24, 2017 will result in a forfeiture of the entire prepayment, regardless of the reason and will appear as a “Cancellation Charge” on your fall bill.
  • Requests for cancellation are not accepted by phone.

Financial Aid

  • If you intend to apply for financial aid funding for the 2017-18 school year,
    this should be done as soon as possible and by the start of the fall semester at the latest!!
  • Students need to complete the FAFSA each year to receive aid.
  • You need to have your financial aid accepted and confirmed well BEFORE the fall semester starts.
  • Give careful consideration to requesting a single room. Most students do NOT receive enough financial aid to cover the additional cost of a single.


  • If you have additional questions, contact us via email at Your questions will be answered in a timely manner by an administrative staff member who is knowledgeable of the correct information.  Do not call the Housing Main Office as those answering the phones are not familiar with many of the room selection procedures.
  • Do not rely on information given to you by anyone other than what is received from an administrative Housing staff member. This includes friends, RAs, front desk staff, or other offices on campus…while they do try to be helpful, the information given is often wrong!
  • Better yet, stop by the Housing Office to speak with one of the assignment staff. We are more than willing to take the time to answer all of your questions.

Go to the EMU Housing Application Portal.

Come to campus prepared! Read the Guide to Campus Living [PDF] before you arrive.

Read EMU's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report.

Skip Section Navigation