First-Year Students Fall 2017 Housing Application Information
Be prepared. Read all of the following information regarding the application for housing for next fall. Students who don’t read it miss a lot of important information.
EMU Email Activation
You will need to activate your @emich.edu account upon your admission to EMU and before submitting your housing application. Once you activate the account, your email account will be available within 24 hours. To activate your account, go to account.emich.edu and follow the “Activate” link at the bottom using your EID student number and PIN.
All housing information is sent to your EMU email account. It is crucial that you activate your email account as soon as possible in order to receive housing information from our office.
- A $150 non-refundable prepayment is needed when starting the application. The prepayment cannot be waived nor charged to the student account. DiscoverCard, MasterCard, and VISA are accepted for the prepayment. Please note that the system does not accept pre-paid credit cards.
- Notification of assignment and roommate information will be sent to the student’s EMU email account around August 4, 2017. Information is not sent via US Mail.
2017–18 Housing and Dining Contract
- Read the contract language [PDF]. You are responsible for reading the terms and conditions of the contract. Know what you are agreeing to.
- The Housing and Dining Services contract is for the full academic year, September through April.
- No release from the contract is granted anytime throughout the academic year for an enrolled student once they have moved into their assigned space.
- Students who have not yet reached the age of 18 at the time they sign the contract must have a parent or legal guardian co-sign the agreement.
- Students selecting Downing Hall must be admitted to the Honors College.
- Students selecting Best must have a minimum high school gpa of a 3.3.
- Download 2017–18 room and board rates [PDF].
- Students and parents need to assess their ability to cover the costs of room and board before moving in.
- If you are planning to apply for financial aid funding for 2017–18, you should begin this process now or as soon as possible. This needs to be finalized before the start of the school year.
- Students need to apply (FAFSA) each year to receive aid.
- All students must have their aid accepted and confirmed before moving in for the fall semester.
- You will have the opportunity to request to live with someone you already know or search for a potential roommate using the Roommate Search option which is part of the application. Please note that suitemate requests are not an option.
- The Roommate Request portion of the freshmen application process will open at 10am on May 1st and close at 5pm on June 15th. For assistance on this process, watch our video on the process.
- A cancellation of the contract can be made prior to September 1, 2017 by emailing our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, EID number, and the reason for cancellation
- The $150 prepayment is non-refundable.
- Requests for cancellation are not accepted by phone.
- Visit our FAQ page for answers to common questions.
- If you have additional questions please contact us via email at email@example.com. Your questions will be answered quickly by an administrative staff member who knows the correct information.
- Do not rely on room selection information given to you by anyone other than what is given to you by an administrative Housing staff member. This includes friends, RAs, front desk staff or other offices on campus…it is often wrong.
- Or stop by the Housing Office to speak with one of the assignment staff. We are more than willing to take the time to answer all of your questions. We will also be available at all FastTrack sessions.
Go to the EMU Housing Application Portal.